Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini (Lucca)
Palazetto Bru Zane – Centre de musique romantique française, Venice
(28-30 October 2022)
The Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini of Lucca and the Palazzetto Bru Zane – Centre de musique romantique française of Venice are pleased to promote the symposium «Gender, Sexuality and Eroticism on the Lyric Stage (1750-1920)», to be held from Friday 28 until Sunday 30 October 2022.
This conference aims to investigate the representation of sexuality on the lyric stage for the middle of the 18thcentury to the 1920s. Although other topics are welcome, the program committee encourages submissions within the following areas:
- Characters’ sexuality: investigating the libretti
- Musical representation of sexual activities
- Singers’ bodies: how to choose them; how to show them?
- Scandals related to dance performance within operas
- How audience reacts to sensuality or nudity?
- Censorship: what are the legal and moral frontiers for the staging of sexuality? How does it evolve during the period?
- Eroticism, sexuality, and gender
- Sexuality and vocality
- Eroticism and exoticism
- Eroticism, sexuality, and religion
- Interrelations between sexuality, gender and eroticism with questions of theatrical time
- Career paths for singers on the lyric stage: male and female
- Roberto Illiano (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini)
- Étienne Jardin (Palazetto Bru Zane)
- Massimiliano Locanto (Università di Salerno)
- Fulvia Morabito (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini)
- Massimiliano Sala (Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini)
- Mark Everist (University of Southampton)
- Annegret Fauser (University of North Carolina)
The official languages of the conference are English, French, Italian. Papers selected at the conference will be published in a miscellaneous volume.
Papers are limited to twenty minutes in length, allowing time for questions and discussion. Please submit an abstract of no more than 500 words and one page of biographical information.
All proposals should be submitted by email no later than ***3 April 2022*** to <email@example.com>. Please include your name, contact details (postal address, e-mail and telephone number) and (if applicable) your affiliation with your proposal.
The committee will make its final decision on the abstracts by the end of April, and contributors will be informed immediately thereafter. Further information about the programme, registration, travel, and accommodation will be announced after that date.
For any additional information, please contact:
Dr. Massimiliano Sala